Apr 14, 2020
Best Banana Bread Recipe
It seems like everyone is in the kitchen and making the same two things - sourdough starters and banana bread. We haven't tried making sourdough yet, but Taylor is a banana bread pro, so she's sharing her favourite recipe!
Taylor Rhodes | Events & Projects*
Hayley tells me that it's Banana Day today, so in honour of all the bananas that are likely going bad in your kitchen (you know you buy bananas and then they sit there for a couple of days and then you stress eat most of them before throwing the last 2 in your freezer. Come on, I can't be the only one) and in an effort to shine a light on anything other than this moment of fame Sourdough is getting, I'm sharing my tried and true recipe for Chocolate Chip Banana Bread. Banana Bread is so versatile - need something quick to eat before your 9 a.m. Zoom call? Boom, Banana Bread. It's 3 p.m. and although you've been snacking all day you're kind of hungry and need something to get you to supper? Banana Bread. Binge-watching something on Netflix tonight? Warm that Banana Bread up and you've got warm chocolatey goodness. See what I mean? Anyways. Happy Banana Day (?), enjoy!
1 ½ cups of flour
1 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon of salt
¼ cup of vegetable oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup of mashed banana (roughly 3 bananas)
½ cup of chocolate chips
½ cup of toasted walnut pieces (optional - ¾ of the CCC Team are very against walnuts in banana bread, but if you side with Dave and think that they have a place here, then go nuts *pun intended*)
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
2. Grease and flour a standard loaf pan (usually 8½ inch x 4½ inch x 2½ inch). If you have a different sized pan, don't worry; as a rule of thumb, the batter should fill the pan to about ⅔ full. If you have less, just bake it for slightly less time. If you have extra, bake the excess batter in a muffin tin.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
4. Mix in the oil, eggs and mashed banana.
5. If using chocolate chips and/or walnuts, stir them in now. Be careful not to overmix.
6. Bake for between 60 and 80 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the bread comes out clean.
7. Cool the bread in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out the bread onto a wire rack to cool completely.